Thursday, March 24, 2011

A New GBD Asisstant in Miami…

Why I took an opportunity to work half-way around the world (for not a lot of money!) by: Gavin Sutherland

Last year I was looking for a seachange. I have enjoyed being a golf professional, but I was left wanting more.

I answered an advertisement on the PGA website for an Assistant Professional for a company not widely known in Australia but with strong international connections - Golf BioDynamics.

Following an on-course interview with Robert Neal and Karen Harrison (GBD partners) in Brisbane, I accepted the position of Golf BioDynamics assistant for 2011 - not entirely certain of what I was getting myself into!

Now, 6 months into my stay here in Miami (FL, USA), it is hard to believe that the time has passed by so quickly. There has been so much to absorb and take in, that it feels a little overwhelming when trying to go back and re-live what has happened.

After a 30 hour flight from Australia, I arrived into the sauna that is Florida in the summer. Coupled with jetlag, the first few days I admit were tough. Since then however, it has been nothing but highlights and new adventures.

The pressure was definitely on as soon as I arrived with only a very short period of time to familiarise myself with life in the US and a new job, about which I knew virtually nothing. Some intensive training marked the beginning and I quickly became familiar with the Golf Biodynamics 3D System and life at the Jim Mclean Golf School.

There is simply no way I would have had this learning experience back in Australia! A unique facility at Doral, there are 30 instructors in-season, all of the latest technologies and ideas, and a constant desire to learn and become the best. From working with Tour Players to interacting with some of the world’s best golf instructors, attending the World Golf Fitness Summit, the PGA Show, and assisting both the German and Danish National Teams, the last 6 months has been hectic to say the least. But I cannot wait to find out what the remainder of the year has in store for me!

The decision to leave Australia in order to grow as a Golf Teacher was a good one for me. I encourage others to take the risk and extend themselves as I did. A most valuable experience!

Thanks Golf BioDynamics!

Contact Gavin Sutherland at: G.Sutherland@golfbiodynamics.com

No comments:

Post a Comment